by Leigh A. Kiernan, Ph.D.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 15-20 oz. jar of favorite marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 3 c. mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. dried basil, or to taste
- 1 tsp. dried garlic powder, or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut off stem and ends of eggplant; leave skin on. Cut eggplant into slices, less than 1/2 inch thick. Place slices on baking sheet. Brush with olive oil. Apply salt and pepper to taste. Bake slices at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes or until eggplant is browned and soft.
- Pour some sauce into a 9-inch square casserole dish; add eggplant slices; sprinkle with basil, garlic and seasoning as desired; then sprinkle with cheese. Repeat layers and end with cheese for a minimum of two layers.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven until cheese is bubbly and dish is well heated, about 20 minutes. Let sit a few minutes before removing portions from pan.
- Sprinkle individual portions with grated Parmesan cheese and garnish with basil leaves if desired.
Total servings: 5
Per serving: calories (kcal) 381, fat (g) 25, protein (g) 25, carbohydrates (g) 14.1, fiber (g) 3.3, Sodium (mg) 750