by Thianda Manzara, Ph.D.
- 1 lb. green beans
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 cucumbers
- 1/2 red onion or other sweet onion
- 2-3 sweet bell peppers (green, red, yellow)
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. dried Greek oregano
- 1/4 lb. feta cheese
- 1/4 lb. Kalamata olives
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Thoroughly wash all vegetables.
- Clean and cook the green beans: steam until tender (immediately plunge beans into ice water to stop the cooking process, then drain well)
- Cut tomatoes into wedges, and place in a large bowl.
- Peel the cucumber, if necessary, and slice or chop into about 1-inch chunks, and add to bowl.
- Slice red onions lengthwise to create strips 2-3 inches long. Break apart onion layers as you add the onion to the bowl.
- Cut bell peppers in half and remove seeds and stem. Cut into long strips about 1/4 inch wide, and add to bowl.
- Pour olive oil and vinegar over the vegetables in the bowl. Sprinkle with oregano and pepper, and salt if desired, then mix well. (Feta and olives are usually quite salty, so it may not be necessary to add salt to the salad. It’s a good idea to taste a little bit of the feta and olives before deciding.)
- Crumble feta over top of the salad and arrange olives over the top.
Total servings: 8
Per serving: calories (kcal) 143, fat (g) 7, protein (g) 4.7, carbohydrates (g) 16, fiber (g) 4, Sodium (mg) 382,