by Vanessa Kieg
- 1 15.5 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained and mashed
- 8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 c. oat bran
- 1/4 c. quick cooking oats
- 1 c. cooked brown rice
- 1 14 oz. package firm tofu
- 5 Tbs. Korean barbecue sauce
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp. dried sage
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, stir together the mashed garbanzo beans and basil. Mix in the oat bran, quick oats and rice; the mixture should seem a little dry.
- In a separate bowl, mash the tofu with your hands, trying to squeeze out as much of the water as possible. Drain off the water, and repeat the process until there is hardly any water to pour off. (It is unnecessary to remove all of the water.)
- Pour the barbecue sauce over the tofu and stir to coat.
- Stir the tofu into the garbanzo beans and oats. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and sage; mix until well blended.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Form patties out of the bean mixture and fry them in hot oil for about 5 minutes per side. Serve as you would burgers.
Total servings: 8
Per serving: calories (kcal) 109, fat (g) 6, protein (g) 9, carbohydrates (g) 14.5, fiber (g) 2, Sodium (mg) 381