by Jessica Perelli
- 1/4 c. diced onion
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 c. chopped mushrooms
- 1 c. fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs or 1/2 c. egg substitute
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 c. skim milk
- 2 Tbs. fat-free half & half
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 oz. fat-free cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat small frying pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan, and sauté with basil and oregano over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, spinach, salt and pepper to taste, and cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until soft.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg (or egg substitute) and egg whites, milk and half-and-half.
- Slice four thin round slices from the tomato; set the slices aside. Chop the remaining tomato into small cubes.
- Add the cooked vegetable mixture and the chopped tomatoes to beaten egg mixture.
- Coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray and pour in the quiche mixture. Drop small pieces of the cream cheese throughout the quiche mixture. Lay the tomato slices on top.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Before removing from oven, gently shake the pie dish; if the quiche is done, the center will appear firm. Serves 2.
Total servings: 2
Per serving: calories (kcal) 144, fat (g) 2.8, protein (g) 15.8, carbohydrates (g) 14, fiber (g) 4.5, Sodium (mg) 432